Sunday, June 24, 2007

MSCU Review: "Into Great Silence"

"Silence, Repetition, Rhythm "

Is it possible to find a movie both engrossing and boring at the same time? Or to thoroughly enjoy a movie, but never want to see it again?

For me (Ryan), Into Great Silence brought about a conflicting rage of emotions. I’m glad to have seen it, but I wouldn’t want to see it again. While the movie is captivating in its own way, it moves at glacial speed. It is certainly not for everyone. Those looking for sex, violence and explosions would best look elsewhere.

For those unfamiliar with the premise of this movie it is an examination of life inside the Grande Chartreuse, the head monastery of the reclusive Carthusian Order in France. Those well versed in monastic orders will recognize the Carthusians as a strict and studious order.

While this movie isn’t strictly medieval, it does give the best look inside a Carthusian monastery that most are likely to ever see. It’s hard to imagine that life at Grande Chartreuse has changed too much since the days of yore.

Now, what were my feelings? Good question. Let me say that the tag line for this movie (Silence, Repetition, Rhythm) is the most apt I’ve ever seen. There is very little dialogue in this movie. English? No. The only words spoken are in either French, German or Latin.

Additionally there is very little sound. The only sounds we hear are the natural rhythms of life in Grande Chartreuse: the footsteps of monks, chanting, dripping water, rain, wind, creaks, nature. These sounds come together to form an enchanting hushed soundtrack for the film. I’ve never sat in a quieter theater. The entire audience eventually becomes engulfed in the silence of the film. Even after it had ended, individuals were reluctant to utter a sound. The rhythm of the film lulls the audience into a near meditative state.

Moreover the film focuses on various brothers in the order. I was struck not by their otherworldliness, but rather by their humanity. I had pictured such men are paradigms of their faith, saints among men. But they are not saints, they are men. Periodically the camera focuses tightly on the faces of these men. We witness a range of emotions ranging from boredom to humility to embarrassment. We witness snippets of their daily lives. Like any other life, a range of experience occurs. They play, they laugh, they pray, they work, they toil, they suffer. They are human.

At the same time as I was awestruck by the movie, I was bored by it. At a run time of 169 minutes it felt long. There were times when I was watching my watch more than the film itself.

So how should I grade this movie? On one hand it is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. A film of shocking beauty and simplicity. A film which made me feel actual emotion. On the other hand, it was slow, even boring in places. I’ve never felt more conflicted about a movie. It has my fullest recommendation. But if you wish to see it, it will likely be without me. Once is enough.

MSCU Rating: ?

No comments: