Saturday, May 26, 2007

Getting to Know the MSCU...

Getting to Know… Ryan

My name is Ryan and I’m the President of the Medieval Studies Course Union. This autumn will mark my fourth year at UVic.

I’m majoring in… well, that’s a little bit complicated. Right now I’m a double major in Medieval Studies and Greek and Roman Studies with a minor in History. Soon, though, I’ll be applying to the new Medieval Studies Honours Program as well.

As my somewhat muddled major shows, I have a hard time choosing between things. I love the classics, especially Roman literature and history, but I also find Medieval history fascinating. I find that there’s a complexity of thought in Medieval history which is often lacking from other areas of historical study. In many ways the Middle Ages are a ‘new’ field of study; there are so many facets of the time which haven’t been looked at in great detail. It’s the ability to break new ground, the pioneering spirit, which attracts me to Medieval history.

The depth of thought in Medieval literature is also captivates me. Philosophy and jurisprudence are to the two subjects I find the most interesting. The Middle Ages are such a unique period because there is such a wealth of thought. In terms of philosophy, there is more to study in the Middle Ages than in any other period in history. And it’s not just the quantity of thought, but the quality of thought which amazes me. Even without looking into the Islamic East the Middle Ages provide some of the most complex and interesting moral and legal philosophy to ever exist. This is why I speak so highly of the period. Whatever your interest is, you can find something captivating in the Medieval history: art, philosophy, literature, theology, mythology, it has something for everyone.

Now how did I become interested in the Middle Ages? Well, the answer is pretty simply: Dr Haskett. In my first year I knew that I was interested in history so I took as many different history classes as I could. My two favourite classes were Hist. 236 with Dr Haskett and GRS 100 with Dr Rowe. Because of these two men, I am where I am today, at least I have someone to blame for my future.
Well that’s a little bit about me.

Next week on Getting to Know the MSCU… Vice-President Madeleine

No comments: