Saturday, October 13, 2007

MSCU Recommendation: "Cursing the Basil"


In this new feature, members of the MSCU will give their recommendations for 'things' (as Dr Kwakkel would say, 'kept deliberately vague') which they believe are worth looking into. If you have any glowing recommendations, please let us know.


Ryan's Pick: Cursing the Basil by Vivian A. Rich

Several years ago my grandparents were moving and selling many of their surplus books. Since family got first (and more importantly free) choice, I dove in with gusto. You see, I'm a strong believer that free things are the sweetest things.

One book which caught my eye was Vivian A. Rich's Cursing the Basil. I flipped through a few pages and looked at the index. Much to my glee there was a chapter on death curses. I was more than happy to take home a book which taught me how to smite my enemies, especially at the low, low price of zero dollars - I took it home.

My frugality and sadism (once again) served me well - this is a wonderful and informative book.

Cursing the Basil examines the use of plants throughout the ages. Her topics range from Roman flower markets to the special treatment of mandrake root to the Byzantine significance of Victorian flower arranging.

Author Vivian A. Rich earned her Ph.D. from the University of London, England. Currently living in Victoria, B.C. Canada she has been known to give lectures at the University of Victoria about the history and lore of flowers and herbs. She is also the author of The Medieval Garden and contributed to the Macmillan Dictionary of Art. Rich, therefore, has a firm grasp on the material at hand.

The author strikes a good balance between erudition and readability. The book, while informative, is easy to pick up and read. The use of plants and the attitudes which surrounded them had never been a subject I considered until I read this book. It provides an account of social history - a field which I too often neglect.

I won't go into too many details because this book is worth reading for one's self. Even though I got this book for free, I would happily pay for it. Although be warned - the death curses don't actually work (not that I tried them...).

No comments: