Monday, November 19, 2007

Fragment Found


A couple of weeks ago I was in the Greek and Roman Studies Reading Room (fourth floor of Clearihue). Searching for an English dictionary, I stumbled upon this Greek dictionary.

When I picked up the dictionary, it nearly fell apart in my hands. I couldn't help but notice that there was what appeared to be a fragment of sorts on the spine.

It appears that this dictionary used a page from a music book in the binding. The book dates from 1861.

While this fragment is interesting, it is hardly historical. If you are interested in Medieval fragments, Dr F. Kwakkel will be giving one more lecture this year on Medieval fragments.

The last lecture of the year will be on 30 November: A Fragmentary History of Medieval Devotion

The lecture will be in McPherson Library, Room 210, at 3:00 PM

No comments: